Monday, October 16, 2006

In our MIP (Management in practice) phase 4, we have to write a case. Usually, B-schools have summer projects, but we have MIP. In the first phase, we visit the company, interact with managers, learn about and observe the organization for a week. Our projects may or may not be discussed at that stage. This is in October. Our summers begin in mid-April. We keep in touch with the organization during these months. Phase 2 is the summer project. It lasts for 8 weeks and since we know the people working there, too much time is not wasted in getting familiar with them. The 3rd phase is project presentation and report writing in college. 4th phase is case writing. I dont remember how many cases I have analysed (or rather no of cases whose analysis I have attended in class) in the last 1.5 yrs; but I have never written (or even attempted to) write one. We were all flabbergasted when we were asked to write a case and a teaching note (it is the note which contains the analysis and the discussion that should occur in class). I had not heard of a teaching note until then. I thought the faculty came up with such amazing analysis on their own.
There have been groans of "Par, main kya likhu??"... "case kaise likhte hai?"... "analysis kaise karu?"... "I worked on the field and didnt interact with anyone in the organization... how do I identify a problem?"...
We all have been allotted guides. Sometimes guides provide direction, at other times they dont... some give good grades, others dont. For the presentations, groups under 3 guides were integrated. Ours is the only group which was given a proper schedule for discussions. I was a little sceptical about them. But we actually enjoyed it. While writing the case, I had an objective in mind and a plan of how the discussion would lead... but it went completely hay wire. I was given suggestions based on which I have to modify my case. The same thing happened with the others... but the discussions were fun...
I realised how we are always being pushed harder and harder to reach the level of perfection. Sometimes, the measures taken are stern, but it makes us work. We try to reach where we have never tread before...