Saturday, September 23, 2006

I am back at Manipal.... my time at B'glore has been the greatest. I loved the freedom, friends, place... most of it. Here are a few things I observed:
  • The weather is always always good.
  • The auto walas are more clueless than the residents. If you ask them to take you to "Sukh Sagar", you will reach "Shanti Sagar". If you are looking for St. John's college, they will make sure you reach Christ College.
  • The residents are clueless not just about their neighbours but also buildings in the vicinity
  • Women on buses are very helpful and always ready to give correct directions (to be on the safe side, I never ask men for directions)
  • Window shopping is the best exercise ever (A1 and I walked down M G Road for 4 hours... we know every lane and most of the shops there)
  • Meeting old friends and acquaintances is the biggest motivation ever (I met my best friend Jiny and acquaintance from school Bethany... we are good friends now....)
  • Even shady eating places are unaffordable at B'glore
  • And as Ritu warned me about B'glore: "beware of lecherous men who don't stare but attack...always carry self defence is my advice to those new in bangalore...later it settles down"... very true. I have not been groped so often even in the 6 years of my stay in A'Bad.
  • The fine for various traffic related offences are put up at almost all traffic signals... transparency???
  • Hindi music is played on the buses.... damn cool, na?

Since I was a kid, people told me I am different. I hated that word. I always wanted to be part of the crowd... but that never happened. I never took it as a compliment. Now I have learned to live with it. When I met my school friend, I realised how alike we are... same views, same aspirations, same uncompromising independent streak... I didnt feel alone. I know why I am who I am... I am a Sophian... I was brought up that way... I was taught to believe that I am as good as anybody else... that nothing is impossible... that if I put my mind and heart into something, I can achieve it...

It feels good to be back.... I have been cleaning everything that has dared cross my path... clothes, shoes, bags, window screens, table cover, table, chair, bed, room.... So, stay away from me today.. warna... Dho daloongi!!!

Last night I messaged my friends: I am on the bus to Manipal... Yippie!!!

One of my friends called to ask me: Ajib ladki hai... jaate waqt bhi yippie, aate waqt bhi yippie. I thought you liked B'glore

Me: I love B'glore... but I am happy to be back... I miss Manipal... it is like second home now.

Travelling alone is a big no-no at home... so, when mom got to know (through me, of course) I came alone last night, this is how it went:

Mom: Why did you come earlier?

Me: Kaam was almost over and I have a submission on Monday... and the longer I stay the more it costs... so, I left last night

Mom: You travelled alone? Where were your other friends?

Me: They will be back on Monday morning... they are staying with relatives, na. Why are you worrying? I am back safe and sound.

Mom: Obviously, I will worry. We dont know where you were staying, with who you were travelling... We didnt even have their home phone nos.

Me: But Mom, neither Jiny nor Beth have phone at home. And I do have a cel.

Mom: If you were lying dead, who would answer your phone?

Me: Umm... I am back... why are you worrying? I am ok. So, wats new?

(Phew... close escape.... I did not do anything naughty at B'glore... I was back home max by 9 pm... I didnt hang out at pubs... was decently clad at all times... didnt smoke or dope or booze... stayed with girls... but Mommy ko kaun samjhaye???)

Today I am missing someone I have become so used to in the past 2 months... Life aint that gr8 when you aint online... "Please be back soon"