Tuesday, September 05, 2006


In our ethics class, one of the groups presented on Bhopal Gas Tragedy. A lot has been written, much has been spoken but little has been done. The images of the dead and ill people were horrifying... so much so that I could not look at them.
I wonder what it feels like to be a victim. Loss of a friend or of physical objects or lack of materialistic pleasures etc are easy to bear.. but what do we do when such tragedy strikes us...when it is not our fault and the offender is let off easily...
I have been having a terrible day. It took every ounce of my will power to attend classes today. And as soon as I stepped into coll, a crisis awaited me. I did not even participate in the Onam celebrations and just wanted to get over with the 6.15 class... which got cancelled and we were informed about it at 6.45 pm. I have been feeling quite shitty.
And then I watched the video on the Bhopal gas tragedy and my troubles seem miniscule. I am just a small entity in this wide world. The world surrounding me is sooo much smaller... as small as a dot compared to the entire world. My troubles are insignificant. What right do I have to feel miserable about my life when there are worse miseries? How can I be arrogant enough to think I am that important?
Nothing and nobody in this world is indispensable.